Nokia on track to be first technology Buy America compliant vendor23. 08. 2023 Wednesday / By: Robert Denes / Industrial / Exact time: BST / Print this page
By becoming Buy America compliant, Nokia will be eligible to supply its products and services to these critical projects focused on closing the digital divide.
22 August 2023Orlando, Florida – Nokia yesterday announced that its fiber-optic broadband network electronics and optical modules manufactured in the U.S. will meet the current Buy America guidelines announced today by the Department of Commerce. Based on the latest requirements proposed, Nokia is on track to become the first Buy America compliant technology vendor eligible for use in the Department of Commerce Broadband Equity, Access and Deployment (BEAD) program. By becoming Buy America compliant, Nokia will be eligible to supply its products and services to these critical projects focused on closing the digital divide.
Sandy Motley, President of Fixed Networks at Nokia, said: “We fully support the guidelines issued by the NTIA and Department of Commerce which provide a realistic and reasonable approach to manufacturing broadband technology in compliance with the Build America, Buy America (BABA) mandates. Working alongside the Department of Commerce, we will continue to take the necessary steps required and plan to become the first broadband technology vendor to be listed as Buy America compliant – eliminating the guess work for any states or infrastructure builders participating in the BEAD program.”
Claude Aiken, Chief Strategy Officer at Nextlink Internet, said: “As a premier regional service provider that is looking to participate in the BEAD program, having access to high quality, innovative technology solutions that are buy America compliant is critical for us to successfully deploy and extend fiber broadband to more rural communities across the mid-west. It’s great to see Nokia investing in the U.S. and taking the necessary steps to meet the Buy America guidelines required for BEAD funding.”
Scott Woods, President, Public Private Partnerships at Ready.net Inc, said: “Bridging the Digital Divide is a top priority for the United States. Too many families currently are classified as being unserved or underserved, and the BEAD program will play a critical role in addressing this. Our data-driven geo- spatial platform helps applicants efficiently navigate through the application process. Now, applicants can be assured they have access to leading technology and solutions from global suppliers, manufactured in the U.S.A.”
Resources and additional information
- Press Release: Nokia expands network-in-a-box program to speed up and simplify broadband network builds and BEAD projects
- Press Release: Nokia expands manufacturing in U.S. to fiber broadband optical modules for Department of Commerce BEAD program
- Press Release: Nokia first to announce manufacturing of broadband network electronics products for BEAD program in U.S.
- Website: More about funding opportunities and Nokia broadband solutions
- Infograph: Why Fiber Broadband is Essential
- Article: U.S. Broadband Infrastructure Funding explained
- Video: Explaining the limitless speeds for fiber broadband
- Seven out of ten fiber broadband connections in North America are made through Nokia equipment.
- Nokia is the top supplier of fiber-optic broadband technology for service providers in the U.S.
- Nokia is the number one vendor for XGS-PON technology globally and in the U.S. market. XGS-PON can deliver up to 10 Gbps (Gigabits-per-second) broadband speeds to end-users. With 10 Gbps, you can download a 4K movie in less than 30 seconds or stream around 1,700 movies simultaneously.
- Nokia was the first to deploy 1, 10 and 25 Gigabit fiber-optic broadband networks in the U.S. with the Electric Power Board (EPB) in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
At Nokia, we create technology that helps the world act together.
As a B2B technology innovation leader, we are pioneering networks that sense, think and act by leveraging our work across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. In addition, we create value with intellectual property and long-term research, led by the award-winning Nokia Bell Labs.
Service providers, enterprises and partners worldwide trust Nokia to deliver secure, reliable and sustainable networks today – and work with us to create the digital services and applications of the future.
Nokia Communications, Corporate
Follow us on social media
LinkedIn Twitter Instagram Facebook YouTube Via Link